Thursday, September 3, 2015

PLN #3

Summary 
In the short story, “High School, Only Shorter” by Sue Shellenbarger from The Wall Street Journal, students are starting to finish classes early, so they can graduate early. They want to finish college and start making money in a full time job so they can start planning for their future. One example was Nicholas Meyers, a student at Ball State University, graduated his junior year from high school, and started college a year early. However, as amazing as that sounds, he did miss his senior year prom and a trip to New York City with the finance club. Now others are finding ways to let middle schoolers take high school courses, and high school students to have the option of taking college courses. In 2002, 2.9% of high school students that were sophomores graduated in 3 years or less. Another example are people like Luke, who start to lose their love for learning and run out of classes to take at their high schools. However, to get into an Ivy league or a good school, Luke had to work extra hard and take many tests to catch up with everyone else in college if he wanted to end his high school experience at just 3 years. There are so many kids that graduate early, and seem to enjoy the change of lifestyle in college, but ultimately it’s their personal preference and choice.

Reflection 
 I believe that it is not the best idea for students to graduate early. Honestly, it’s not only just about the academics, colleges look at many more things such as extracurricular activities and involvement with your school. Also, you should have fun in high school. From personal experience, my cousin who attends Harvard University, says the best times of her life were in high school. In the story, it says Nicholas Meyers missed his senior prom and a school trip. Personally I wouldn’t want to miss those things, because you can never go back and relive them. I think it would be more fun to graduate with your class and all your friends, spend the last years of high school having fun on the school sports teams, attending the dances and games, or even being involved in a club. In the article, it says critics question whether students are "emotionally or otherwise ready to enroll in college full-time at the age of 17,” says Ms. Zinth. “Many people think four years is necessary." I completely agree with her. In college, you have so much stress and the challenge of meeting new people and there’s not a bell to tell you to when to attend class, you have to be paying attention. But at the same time, I can see why students want to graduate early. As said in the article, Luke by his third year of high school, had run out of math and science classes to take. When students are so advanced there should either be other classes for them to take, or they should just graduate early. I mean the students do miss out on the full high school experience, but it’s good that they’re eager to further their education. The students are obviously thinking more about their future rather than just the present. In the first part of the article Nicholas Meyers says, "If I get out a year early, that's a year extra of pay, and that's a year earlier of retirement. That's a whole year of my time that I can do whatever I want—make some money, invest some money or just relax." I can see where he is coming from, wanting to start early and end earlier. As you can see, there is different takes on whether you think students should graduate early or not, but in my opinion there is no right or wrong answer. Do you think a 3 year high school should become a regulation?




23 comments:

  1. I loved the way you spoke, it kept me interested, though personally I did kind of go off every once in awhile, but that may be due to personal reasons.

    To your question, I don't want to miss anything big like prom/a trip to New York, but I want to graduate early :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her response could have hit more points in depth and talk about them more, speaking was fast but loud to enough to hear, writing content i would say is good. Talks about good things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your speaking was very strong and you did not use filler words or stare at your notecard for too long, in the future look around the classroom more while you are speaking. Your writing was also very good but you could use better detail and more emotion in your response. If you ran out of classes to take, and were getting bored with learning, would you attempt to graduate early or stay a final year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overall I think you did very well! You speaking was very loud and clear. Although, you moved around a lot and looked at your cards often, but who doesn't. From what I could tell, your writing was good. I agree with you that high school should be four years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) I thought you had a good pace and tone so overall good
    2) I thought you could make to response just a little shorter.
    3) I don't think it is a good Idea for kids to graduate early because they wouldn't have a good high school .

    ReplyDelete
  6. THAT WAS SO GOOD you seemed rehearsed and like you really new what you were doing and talking about. You made really god points to why high school for 4 years might be the best plan for most people. I wonder if Arapahoe and other middle schools in the district teach high school or college classes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got confused about which side you were on because you brought up good points from both sides that could support either side. Other than that I think it was good that you included a personal experience with your cousin and you had good arguments, but I wasn't sure which side the argument was for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) Your speaking was really good, I could hear you and you came off as confident.
    2) I liked how you connected your life to the article, it gave a more personal feel to understand it.
    3) To answer your question, I think graduating a year early should be aloud if necessary and if the student is ready. I think it should be optional because everyone is different and it really depends on the person and their situation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did well on eye-contact, explaining what you thought and explaining your summary. You kinda talked a little fast and moved around a lot but other than that good job. I also agree that it is not a very good idea graduating early.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. I liked how you were loud enough so everybody could hear you and your eye contact was good as well.
    2. The actual writing part was well done. I thought that your response was a little confusing because I didn't know if you were against graduating early or for it, but that might have just been me.
    3. I don't think a three year high school should become a regulation because I believe that for most students a four year high school is more beneficial for preparing for college and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had so much detail and I could really tell that you had connections with this article. You spoke with confidence for the most part but you did say high school a lot. I still think that you did a really nice job of knowing the article and using your experiences to your advantage. One thing I did see is that you didn't have a topic sentence in your reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your reading sounded really good, you didn’t much and if you did it was at most twice.
    Your writing was also very good, it looks like you did do more on your responce than your summary. I agree with you that kids shouldn’t be required to take a three year high school, and that it is up to them if they are advanced enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You spoke clearly and had many examples relating to the topic but you also seemed to speak more into the card rather than the audience. Your summary and response were well written but your topic sentence for your response seemed incomplete
    I do wonder why ivy league don't want students to graduate early? I think people who do graduate early are advanced students as they take college required classes early so I don't see why they don't want to accept them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. vara, your speaking was really clear, you seemed pretty confident. Although you did speak a little fast, you seemed out of breath, so in the future slow down just a bit. You did play with your hair, which made you look a little nervous and uncomfortable but thats okay!
    I enjoyed your reflection, how you included a question at the end and also a personal story and connection.
    I was surprised that you think that we should stay four years, I think it depends on who you are as a person, and should be optional. My mom graduated about 6 months early and she said she really benefit from it. Although you aren't really attending the school during the day, I'm sure you can still go to many activities.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vara, I would agree with you, I don't think that people should graduate early. My brother told me that senior year is the best year, and the most fun. I wouldn't want to miss it, and like you said that it's more fun to graduate with you class. My brother also said not to rush high school and to enjoy it, so I don't think that 3 year high school should really become regular. I think that you did a very nice job presenting, your speaking and writing were both very good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Speaking: I believe that your speaking was very clear, but you should try working on not fidgeting as much. You continued to move your hand to your hip or behind you, and you moved your hair in front of and behind your face as well. Overall, as actual speaking goes, you were very clear and we could understand you well.
    Writing: You have a lot of evidence to back up your information, but not as many transition words you could have. Using transition words allows you to smoothly change the subject from one to another, and can make your writing a lot more formal. Overall, your writing brought up a lot of key points and backed them up with evidence.
    Response: I believe there is a lot of gray area about this topic, and that even though you didn't talk about how it would be a good idea, you argued one side, and that is really good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your speaking was very good because you had good volume and kept the audience engaged. One thing that you could work on would be not doing nervous habits as much. I thought your writing was very good also because your summary was a good length and your reflection was very clear and you had a lot of information to back up your opinion. Maybe one thing that you could improve on is having less stats from the article and more description sentences in your summary. To answer your question, I don't think that high school should be 3 years because I think high school is more than just academics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your speaking was good but you could've had more eye contact. I think you went over all the key points without going into them and losing your audience. From what I could see, your writing was very good. It was well presented and again hit all the key points without going off track. I think the summary could've had more about the article and less opinion. Your response was good and matched what I think about three years in high school and how all students should experience the full four years of high school. In response to your presentation, i agree with your response and share the same ideas you have. I think kids may be rushing themselves through high school and not taking the time they need to understand the material. Your summary and response was good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Vara: First, your speaking was a little shaky at first, but that is normal. Your speaking was great towards the middle and end of your presentation too. So great job! Secondly, your writing was smooth and very informational. I loved how you included an example in your own life. I think your presentation was amazing overall, but you did skip subjects a lot. So once again, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1. I think your speaking was good but you probably need tow work on keeping a pace and not saying like so much haha you kind of squirmed around a little bit so I would work on that but overall good! great idea writing the stuff on your notecards!!
    2.Your writing was really good your personal connection was strong and you had a lot of good points keep that up!
    3. you response was very good I totally agreed with everything you said my response was very similar. I don't think that I should be required for students to have only 3 years of high school great job and btw I love your dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. There was very little error in your reading except maybe rehearsing or going over what you were going to say. Your note cards may have been more thorough in the facts. There was not a lot I would change you spoke well and loudly. I think 4 years should be the minimum you can take in high school. I don't see why you wouldn't take the full opportunity in your senior year. Overall, you spoke well and just make sure you go over what you are going top say and being more factual.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 1. Your speaking was very good. I would make more eye contact.
    2. I liked that this response showed that the decision to finish high school in three years was up to the preference of the student. I also liked how you provided personal connections to the text.
    3. Do you think a 3 year high school should become a regulation? Based on the article, I believe that a three year high school should not become mandatory, but instead still remain an option for students. I also think that the solutions that Vara suggested in her response would solve that problem for these students.

    ReplyDelete